8.03.2009

Race, Class and Gender

I understand a fury in your words, But not the words. William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "Othello", Act 4 scene 2

Kohl made me think of a moment I had in high school. Moving from the Midwest to the South was not easy. I had issues fitting in with my peers, mostly due to the “language barrier”. But I was trying. I remember speaking with my favorite teacher, informally about something I had done. “Me and Jessie went to the beach.” He quickly corrected me. I remember being confused. I felt comfortable enough with him, and I thought he respected me. Why is he correcting me, when I am just trying to fit in? After that I was very hesitant about talking with him. I was always afraid I wasn't going to say the right thing. I even became quieter in class. He meant no harm but I couldn’t get past the fact that he didn’t understand me. In turn, I think about the damage I may be causing my students. I try everyday to give them the respect that they deserve, but I wonder if I am doing enough. I tell students that I am not understanding what they say when they answer me, and I tell them to explain it in another way. Is this hurting them?

This chapter also got me thinking about the way I use mannerisms and my own language when teaching. I will tell you that my first two years teaching were awful. And a lot of it has to do with the fact that students weren’t hearing me. And it wasn’t because they had the volume turned down. I wasn’t speaking to them I was speaking AT them. And with their behavior constantly annoying me, I am sure my tone was not great. I’m sure it was awful. Things have changed this year because I went into it with a positive attitude. I also told the students that I wanted our classroom community to be a family. And it truly is. Of course it didn’t start that way; we put a lot of effort into it. But the students are hearing me this year. They are listening. And I am speaking WITH them. I suppose over the summer I had a topsy-turvy experience. I thought long and hard about where I wanted to be in 5 years and where I had come from. I realized that teaching IS for me, and I needed to do some things to change who I was as a teacher to benefit the children.

The other two chapters also bring out many thoughts that I am having. For example, Smitherman motivates me. She makes me want to go out and do something about this issue of language in the classroom. And Wynne is even more inspiring with the reference to the 60s and the power of words. She questions the universities and the knowledge of its preservice teachers. I have no doubt that preservice teachers are not getting what they need. It is shocking to think that some universities are pumping out teachers who think that people who speak Ebonics are inferior. Maybe I am taking that to an extreme. But I do wish I had read this book when I was getting my BA. It seems so much more profound that anything I had read as an undergrad.

Sarah Feinman

No comments: